Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Trouble Paying Rent

Posted by artie on June 13, 2000 at 17:02:43:

In Reply to: Trouble Paying Rent posted by Regina on June 13, 2000 at 16:35:53:

: I went to court with my landlord last year and the judge dismissed the case because he said that it was illegal for the landlord not to have offered me another lease when my last one expired. In NY landlords are obligated to offer tenants a new lease at least 120 days prior to the exsisting leases expires. Check with the Tenants Rights guide in this page to further investigate...I live in an apartment in Queens that is a co-op owned by my sister and brother-in-law. Last October I had an accident, and the doctor's bills bled me dry. I told my family that I would have some trouble paying the next month's rent. So, my brother-in-law came up with a payment plan, which was still difficult for me to make, but I have been sending them faithfully every month what I can.

: However, when my brother-in-law came over that evening, he accidentally spilled the beans about their intentions to sell the apartment. This was the first I heard of this, and when I asked him later about these plans, he refused to acknowledge my question. Them my sister sent me a nasty letter in the mail telling me that they could no longer "subsidize" me in the apartment. It was not a legal letter, nor was it sent by certified mail. They are hardly subsidizing me, as I have paid them rent every month for four years, I only missed one month because of a medical emergency.

: What are my rights in this situation? Can they just show up some day and tell me that they have sold the apartment? Or legally, do they have to give me time to find another apartment? I do not have a signed lease because my brother-in-law decided, when it was up the last time, that we didn't need one.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name