Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

A question about noise

Posted by Theo on June 13, 2000 at 20:44:27:

I am writing from NYC. For the past 15 years I have been living in a rent stabilized building (21 units). My upstairs neighbors (who are rent controlled), have been steadily increasing the level of noise in their apartment over the last 2 years. I asked my super and apparently there are about 7 people and one child living in the apartment currently (it is very large). The noise is primarily the sound of people walking about, the scraping of chairs, the slam of various items upon the floor and on the weekends about 5 children race through every room in the apartment, through out the morning, day and evening. They (of course) do not have any rugs on their floors and when we have asked them to keep it down in the evenings they have been extremely rude. We have spoken with management about the issue and they have sent threatening letters to the tenants, who seem to ignore them. I have scoured this entire web sight and am still not sure about whether there are any laws about having rugs on the floors. Would this only be in the lease? (which the probabaly first signed in the 1970's) Are there any other significant steps I could take to deal with this issue aside from going to court?
Thank you!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name