Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Overturning 4-Year Statute

Posted by mjr on June 14, 2000 at 10:41:55:

Due to being shut out myself by 1997 4-year statute, began researching the matter. While reading case law, found a particularly blatant case in which the landlord must have provided money to someone at DHCR to hold up case until 1997 statute passed: See 1/20/99 ruling in "Matter of Orin Management Corporation v. DHCR." To summarize, tenant brought overcharge claim against landlord in 1984: Due to length of time for response by landlord and dragging of feet by DHCR, the case was still being considered when 1997 statute took effect, and since the statute was retroactive and the tenant had not filed until 5 1/2 years after initial overcharge, DHCR ultimately ruled against tenant. It seems so obvious to me that something fraudulent occurred here, but the DHCR doesn't care. I am ashamed to say I was sleeping when this happened. But now that I'm awake, I think we need to organize to overturn the statute. Ideas?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name