Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Trouble Paying Rent: to Artie

Posted by Regina on June 15, 2000 at 13:51:33:

In Reply to: Re: Trouble Paying Rent: to Artie posted by EGH on June 15, 2000 at 13:21:54:

There's been a new development to my story. I paid for may, 2000's rent with two postal money orders. I did not receive receipts. When I paid for June, 2000's rent, I got a receipt that did not reflect my payments for May. I have already gone to the post office and put a tracer on those two money orders. However, I suspect that those two money orders were indeed received, that my sister opened the mail, not my brother-in-law, and she either tore them up or signed his name and made a deposit into one of their many accounts without telling him. Of course, I will not know for sure until the tracer comes through. And, yes, my sister would do that.
If that is, indeed, what she did, can I take some kind of action against her for that behavior? It seems strange to me that they were lost in the mail because they were sent in two separate envelopes on two separate days. One getting lost in the mail I could see, not both of them.
: : One more question, I have heard that there is a lw in NYC that allows tenants ten days grace on the payment of their rent. Is this true?

: -- No.

: : : : : I went to court with my landlord last year and the judge dismissed the case because he said that it was illegal for the landlord not to have offered me another lease when my last one expired. In NY landlords are obligated to offer tenants a new lease at least 120 days prior to the exsisting leases expires. Check with the Tenants Rights guide in this page to further investigate...

: : : Arite: you must be rent stabilized: only those tenants get the 120-day notice of renewal.

: : : She is a co-op subtenant: she only gets a 30-day notice to leave, not automatic renewal unless it is actually written into her lease.

: : : But the advice to read the Tenants Rights Guide is solid. Click on NY Tenant on http://www.tenant.net/

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name