Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Help!!! can they evict me??? WHERE???

Posted by JJ on June 16, 2000 at 21:37:09:

In Reply to: Help!!! can they evict me??? posted by David Poynor on June 16, 2000 at 19:22:02:

: I am house sitting girfriends house she is traveling out of country for 5 1/2 months the lanlord told they would not renew lease want her out july 23rd she will not be back till Aug 10th she sent me letter and gave to them asking to let her have until sept 30 to get all her stuff out and the refused...the rent has never been late etc.....what are her rights can they change locks or remove her stuff before she gets back?....the handed me the letter of refusal....she is the only one on the lease....what can I do????? HELP!!
//////////////////////

Laws are different in different cities: where is this house?

What date does the lease end on? Exactly what does the renewal clause in the lease say?

In most states, self-help evictions (change the lock, put the tenants stuff on the curb) are illegal. The landlord has to go through the court system. In some states, he could legally do it within a couple of weeks after the lease ends.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name