Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: notification of rent increase

Posted by richard on June 27, 2000 at 19:39:52:

In Reply to: notification of rent increase posted by Loren Noveck on June 27, 2000 at 08:33:33:

well here is the deal.........the LL must give you 30 days..so you are right the rent increase should not start until Aug 1st.

So that's where you stand......if the place is big enough and $1500 seems reasonable?, does he provide you enough heat hot water repairs, then offer to sign a 2 year lease at $1500 that $300 you will pay extra next month comes out to only $25 a month next year.............what if you sign a one year at $1500 and the next lease is $1700 you lose, this way with a 2 year lease the landlord loses.

Plus do you think you can find a place without paying $1500-2000 for a broker...good luck!

But since i think we are heading into a recession by next year, so in 2 years you will find lots of better places even cheaper.

------------------------------------------------------

: I live in an unregulated Brooklyn apartment. Our second lease expired in October of 1997, and we'd been paying a continuing month-to-month rent of $1200 for over two years. Yesterday we came home to find a new lease under our door with a $300 rent increase beginning July 1. I don't question the landlord's right to raise the rent that substantially, but is he required to give us more than 5 days notice of the presentation of a new lease and such an increase? With 30 or 60 days notice we might very well choose to move, but I don't see how with 5 days we have any choice but to suck it up. Do we have the right to tell him we will sign this new lease but only August 1 or September 1, with proper notification?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name