Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: That's it Norm

Posted by Nick on June 28, 2000 at 16:48:07:

In Reply to: That's it Norm posted by TenantNet on June 24, 2000 at 13:55:30:

: Norm, and it's also clear that you are off this forum for [at least] the next month.

: : you should be more interested in the words, of my post, rather than the caps and or the protocol. It is clear that you are a tightly wound anal bitch !!
: : hope to see you soon on the BLACKLIST !!

While I'm not a litigator, I wonder if it's possible to seal the court records in New York in landlord/tenant cases. I understand this is not uncommon in commercial civil litigation, where one of the parties claims that some of the evidence constitutes trade secrets. I also understand that parties in other types of litigation, such as product liability, agree to ask the court to seal the records. Here, the defendant will condition a settlement offer on the plaintiff's agreeing to join with the defendant is filing a motion to seal the records. Defandants in product liability cases also condition the settlement on the plaintiff's agreeing to complete confidentiality. If the plaintiff reports the litigation to anyone, including public health officials (as is common in cases involving medicines), the plaintiff has to forfeit all settlement proceeds.

Whether this would work would depend on when the RSA finds out about a LL/TN lawsuit and enters it into their data base. If it's done as soon as the lawsuit is filed, then probably sealing the record or conditioning a settlement on confidentiality wouldn't seem to work. If, however, the RSA finds out about LL/TN lawsuits AFTER the case is decided and reported, this might work.

Any of the attornys out there have any thoughts on this? Anyone know precisely how the RSA uncovers LL/TN cases?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name