Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Rent renewal/rent increase

Posted by toni on June 29, 2000 at 10:42:24:

In Reply to: Rent renewal/rent increase posted by Rebecca Metzger on June 25, 2000 at 19:55:47:

: I live in a brownstone with three units, and my lease is up at the end of the summer. I am wondering how much notice my landlord must give me regarding the possibility of renewing the lease and, if so, of a rent increase. My lease does not refer to rent renewal or rent increases. I also do not know whether my building is governed by any sort of laws regarding rent increases. My roommate would like to remain in the apartment, but is worried that the landlord will a. not renew the lease, or b. raise the rent exorbitantly. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Your roommate's concerns are legitimate, but you don't have much recourse if the apartment isn't stabilized -- find out whether it is or not (check tenant.net for a list of stabilized buildings in NYC). You could call your landlord and ask what he's planning, but he may or may not give you an answer. (If it's not stabilized, your lease governs his obligations. Most landlords of non-stabilized apartments can get away with murder.) You can stay put and deal with it when the time comes -- I believe the landlord has to give you 30 days to move or pony up, and his notice must be in writing -- but you should verify that to make certain. If you decide to move, make sure you move into a rent-stabilized apartment. If the rent goes up and you stay where you are, try hard to find another, rent-stabilized apartment as soon as possible; breaking the lease should be no problem, as long as you give 30 days notice. If he doesn't renew, you still have to have 30 days notice -- and if you stay put past the 30 days, it would probably take him months to evict you.

If the apartment is rent-stabilized, your rent increase is regulated by the Rent Guidelines Board: 2% for a one-year lease; 4% for a two-year lease (going up to 4% and 6%, respectively, in October).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name