Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Is my apt stabilized? What do you think?

Posted by Anne on June 30, 2000 at 14:39:08:

I've been living in my apt in Brooklyn for nine years. Old building (building code C4-"old law tenement"), all rentals, nine units. I've always had a lease, which always has, printed at the bottom, "this is a nine-unit destabilized building," with no explanation. Over the nine years, my rent has risen modestly with each lease--currently at $800. Now the landlord wants to jack up the rent for me and two other long-time neighbors.

DHCR has no rent history on the building.

On cross-examination, the (lying scum) building manager once vaguely referred to a tax abatement (J-51? The building was rehabbed before I moved in in 1991, probably a few years before.) On this trail, HPD sent me to Dept of Finance, which says there's no record of J-51 on the building going back to 1981. Even if there was a J-51 that expired, would that make the apartments market rate if they were stabilized BEFORE the J-51? And how do I find out if they WERE stabilized before then?

What do you think? Stabilized or not?? DHCR is sending me a form to complain about the building not being registered with them. Is that the best way to pursue this? Any insight gratefully accepted.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name