Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Is this an Illegal Overcharge on Sublet?

Posted by richard on July 21, 2000 at 15:07:53:

In Reply to: Is this an Illegal Overcharge on Sublet? posted by Kay on July 21, 2000 at 13:57:54:

Actually, there is no limit as to what a rooomate can charge as long as
they live there, so yes you didnt pay exactly 1/4 of the total, but the
lease holder is FINANCIALLY responsible for paying the whole rent.

So considerate a risk factor.......so you get the new lease for $4100,
split it 4 ways and then try and come up with the other share if one of
the roomates leaves or gets fired! hope you have a nice bank account
and ZERO balance on your credit cards!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

: I live in a 4 bedroom rent-stabilized apartment in Manhattan. All 4 of us moved in on April 1st, 2000. Two roommates (A&B) found the apartment and signed a 1 year lease. My other roommate and I (C&D) signed a 1 year sublet from A&B. A&B are charging us $1250 each per month for rent.

: Recently, A&B decided they want to move back to New Jersey. They offered us the choice of
: (1) continuing our sublet and they would sublet their rooms to 2 new roommates
: or
: (2)discontinuing the lease & sublet and we (C&D) would start a new lease with the landlord.

: I asked A&B how much their rooms were renting for, so I could look for additional roommates to sublet their rooms. A&B told me their rooms were the same rent as mine - $1250 each. That makes the total rent $5000.

: I contacted the landlord to get information about starting a new lease. They told me that the current rent amount is $3730 and would increase to $4100 with a new lease.

: So... this means my current roommates/sublettors were lying to us about the rent. A&B only paid $615 per month, while C&D paid $1250.

: Is this legal? Do I have any rights? How can I get a refund on the overcharge for 5 months?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name