Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

moving out questions

Posted by Elaine on July 25, 2000 at 11:51:05:

When my original roommate and I moved in this apt. in Athens, Georgia last August, the place was such a mess that WE had to clean it before we could even unpack. That included everything but the walls, which had been repainted. The carpets were filthy, and we had to beg them to come and have the steam cleaned after we had vaccuumed the floor. We are both graduate students and very clean, so the apt. has not sustained any damages, only normal "wear and tear", at least in our definition!

Keeping in mind the filthy mess we moved into--now it's time for us to move out, and they are requiring us (and all tenants in the apts.) to clean the place from top to bottom and pay $60 ($30 per person) to have the carpet steam cleaned even though the entire apt. is MUCH cleaner than when we moved in initially. This is being required even before they do the walk-through inspection!!! My original roommate is subleasing her bedroom (we have individual leases), and she lost her entire $150 security deposit for a tiny little stain on the mattress. "Graciously", they are allowing her to have the mattress and box springs.

These are just the latest things. We've had a terrible time with maintenance since we moved in last year. For example, it took them almost 3 months to fix the lock on our patio door when we moved in! This apt. complex is called Univ. Commons, and they have over 700 units and not enough staff to clean them before people move in or enough maintenance people to keep the place up. So, this "little" added bit here at the end really is infuriating.

So, my questions are: is my roommate's losing her entire security deposit over that little stain legal, is it legal for them to make us clean the apt. before we leave legal when we documented on the move-in inspection that we moved into a dirty, filthy apt., and most importantly, is their action to make us all pay to have our carpets steam-cleaned legal.

Please email me directly regarding this matter ASAP: emturk76@hotmail.com

Thank you!
Elaine
Athens, Georgia

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name