Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Eviction without due cause? yes

Posted by richard on July 27, 2000 at 23:08:31:

In Reply to: Eviction without due cause? posted by mentallo on July 27, 2000 at 22:03:35:

Better start humping for a new apartment...and since he has told you, he really has to give you 30 days in writing, use your security for next months rent and be gone...

He will find others who are desperate and will pay $1800!

==============================================================

: Astoria, Queens<----I have been living in this appartment for 3years. We always were 4 people living here. It's a 4 bedroom. Last march our lease expired. The landlord raised the rent by $200. It is now $1500. We all had a problem with that and I talked to the landlord regarding the rent increase. He said it was necessary because of high energy bills and blah blah. I pointed out to him all the things that weren't working. Mainly the bell, bathroom walls and tiles are crumpling, exposed sockets... For us to stay we had to agree to the increase. We did taking his word that he will fix all this stuff. Flashforward to yesterday. None of the things promised were fixed. We withheld rent for July until a new talk with the landlord. After enduring a screaming match with him telling me that I do not withhold rent from HIM he agreed to come by the place and take a look at the batchroom which at this point consisted mostly of a lonely tile hanging on a ducktape so the whole wall wouldn't collapse. He told me that since this is not a rent stabilized nor rent controlled but a two family building, repairs like this would have to come out of our pocket. I gave him the rent and he seemed to make amends and get a guy to come by and fix the wall. TODAY, I wake up to load drilling. Happy that I can I can take a shower after 4 months, I made my way to the bathroom to find the landlord talking to the tile-man. He takes me aside and tells me that his son will move in the appartment in a month. I ask him if he is throwing us out and he says YES !
: I ask why, and the only reason he gave is that there are to many people living here and that we are not living the way he wants people to live who stay in his appartment.
: Remember he never gave us another lease after march. He always doched it.

: Is this legal and what can I do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name