Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: LL didn't renew lease...security deposit and sale important!

Posted by richard on August 24, 2000 at 18:17:30:

In Reply to: LL didn't renew lease--help me Ed! posted by Amanda on August 24, 2000 at 16:20:04:

I AM SHOUTING THIS TO ALL TENANTS........

A LEASE IS A LEASE PERIOD......EVEN IF THE HOUSE IS SOLD THE LEASE GETS TRANSFERRED TO THE NEW OWNER AS WELL AS THE SECURITY DEPOSIT!

NOW in your situation, if the house is sold you must be given 30 days from the time you normall pay rent to vacate.....and the landlord should give you back all of your security deposit IF NOT then.......

HERE IS WHAT TENANTS DONT KNOW: YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO ATTEND THE CLOSING AND PRESENT ANY OUTSTANDING BILLS TO THE ATTORNEY, AND A SECURITY DEPOSIT IS AN OUTSTANDING BILL!

they will have to settle that before a closing can take place...neat huh!

-------------------------------

: I live in a 1BR floor-thru in Brooklyn, it is a 4 unit brownstone. I have been living in the apt 2 years, my lease recently ran out and the landlord refused to renew it because he is trying to sell the building. I can continue living there but I am concerned about the security deposit (one month rent and the last month's rent--stated in those terms on the lease) -- the landlord isn't evil but I don't necessarily trust him with $1500 without having the security of a lease. After all it is a business relationship not a friendship.

: My questions are:
: How much notice does he legally have to give me to vacate premises if I don't have a lease?
: Can I still get the security deposit back even if I don't have a lease but the apartment is in appropriate condition?

: Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name