Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Organize and fight your landlord

Posted by John on August 07, 2000 at 14:02:32:

In Reply to: New Landlord Harrassing Tenants posted by bonnie on August 05, 2000 at 00:20:17:

I assume your landlord is using a managing agent to harras you and haven't fixed a thing in the building. Be very careful, because tactics like this have been done to get people out of their apartments. One of the first things you should do is organize a tenants group, and find out who is the actual landlord. Withholding rent is a way to get a court date and proof that a person or corporation has ownership of the building (deed, etc). In front of a Housing Court Judge request apartment and common area repairs (if there are any) and have it documented (Judges order). If everything goes well, then you pay the rent and they make the repairs.

As a tenants group the landlord will have to deal with all of you as a group and not attack you one by one. As a rent stablized building the use of this type of tactic is common, because no one actual knows their rights. I had two different managing agents for my building and everytime I complained to a Housing Court Judge about my problems, the Landlord claimed he did know of the currnet status of his building that is why he fired the last agent. BUT of course he wanted his rent money.

WORD OF WARNING: Do not sign any agreements for money. Like paying you to move... I got tricked in to moving for money and the stipulation stated AFTER I moving out and delivering the keys I would receive said money.

What was said and what what written on the stipulation was different and it didn't have the landlord's or his lawyers names in agreement. I couldn't collect the money even if I wanted to. So I hired a lawyer to dispute this.

: I am rent stablized - Brooklyn, New York.
: New Landlord has taken over our building of 16 apartments. He is harrassing tenants and telling them he will force them to move out because he needs the apartments for himself and family members.

: He is changing rent due dates and claiming to charge a $100 late fee if rent is not sent to him at least 5 days before it is due. he is demanding keys to apartments and mailboxes.

: Does he have any right at all to do this? Please help. Thank you. Bonnie

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name