Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

I need right advice

Posted by Leonard on August 08, 2000 at 08:58:13:

Two months ago my landlord informed me that he will be raising the rent $300.00 a month when my lease expires in August 1st. He only accepts cash and it was suggested that I find out if the building is registered by obtaining a C of O. I live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn in a four unit. I suspect however that it may be a seven unit, but without the C of O I cannot say for sure. Since then we have not come to any agreement on a new lease. I gave him an additional $125.00 for this month's rent totally $1400. Prior to August 1st, I tried obtaining the C of O and I got nothing but dead end leads. The state offices (25 Beaver Street and 60 Hudson Street-Manhattan) were very non-responsive and I could not verify that the building was actually registered. Where else can I find out if my building is registered? My landlord said he would send me a court summons. He said it would take only 30 days to make a court appearance. I have paid cash the past two years and I have not once received a receipt until this month because I insisted. I do however have a lease for 1998-99 and 1999-2000. And last IF the building is unregistered, how is it that I can get electricity and cooking gas in my name? Also, if I have been paying cash all this time, what would happen if I have to go to court? Can he take legal action because I shorted him $175.00? And finally, I feel his market value is too high for a two bedroom in the south side of Williamsburg (Hasidic Community) and last winter he kept the heat off from 9pm until 6am the following morning, forcing me to keep warm by my gas oven. He claims that 50 degrees is a legal temperature and he doesn't need to keep the place any warmer that. However since the thermostat is located in another part of the building, it may register 50 degrees there, but my electronic thermometer showed my apartment to be as cold as 39 degrees. I plan on moving soon, however he doesn't care and he has threatened my credit rating.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name