Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

help a college students understand leasing agreements

Posted by lizzie324 on August 17, 2000 at 11:33:05:

As a student in a college city, traditionally apartment leases turn-over in mid-August. I recently signed a lease for an apartment, but when I went to collect my keys and move in, the apartment was already occupied. The management company erred and allowed this other female to sign a lease (days after I signed mine) and move in immediately. So when I went to move my stuff in, I got a huge surprise.
I am not sure what I should do. Legally, the apartment is mine, right? But I don't necessarily want to make this other person move out. The management company has offered to simply switch me to a different apartment, but this solution isn't wholly acceptable to me. They screwed up and yet I am the only one paying the consequences. What rights do I have? What can I ask for from them? I don't know what I should do, seeing as this is the first apartment I'm renting. This is all very frustrating seeing as the academic year is quickly approaching and I am temporarily homeless.
Any and all advice gladly accepted!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name