Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

welcome to new york !

Posted by am on August 17, 2000 at 11:39:26:

about 2 1/2 months ago i moved into a room in a house in chelsea - i was desparate so i took it with no lease etc - the owner of the house lied to me about several things suchas the shower being fixed, the hours of the psychiatric patients that she sees at the house during the day, etc. she rents rooms to about 5 other people (her family also lives there) - i realize that i really have no recourse here since i didnt get anything in writing - obviously i plan to move very soon - i suspect that she is not paying her taxes (another "tenant" balances her books in lieu of some rent) and i think that she is running what has been called an illegal boarding house. she enters my room when i am not there - (she and other roommates have told me this) and she wears my clothes - when i told her about the mice and roaches she didnt do anything about it - there are boards that randomly fall from the outer rim of the house from the 4th flr clearly endangering anyone below them and one of the numerous leaks in the house drips directly into a light fixture -
my questions follow
does ny or nyc require that someone renting rooms out of his/her own house register with the city or state or have any kind of license and if so how can i research this ?

same question but for offices - another dr rents an office there

what will happen to the roommates who live there now - some of them would be very lost with no where else to go

also even if i dont "report" her to the authorities - whoever they might be - how can we (roommates) deal with the electricity, falling fixtures pest problems, and theft issues ?

can i report her anonomously ? (more anon than this site !)

and finally - just for laughs - would you believe im paying $1100.00 per month for this cruddy room with no window in the basement ?

thanks for your help and any advice you can give me and my roommates !

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name