Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Termination of Lease -- Co-op

Posted by Unstoppable Ed on August 19, 2000 at 00:46:09:

In Reply to: Termination of Lease -- Co-op posted by Michele on August 18, 2000 at 20:57:50:

It's not clear from your posting whether you are renting an apartment from a shareholder or if you have bought into a coop and are living under a proprietary lease. In either case, if you are contemplating sub-letting the apartment, it is you who does the sub-letting, not your landlord.

When you signed your lease you agreed to its terms. Explain your situation to management and ask to be released from the lease. Barring this, you will need to contact a lawyer to review your lease and see what your options are (subletting the apartment, assigning the lease, terminating the lease, etc.)

: My boyfriend and I just moved into this apartment in Montgomery County, Maryland, a co-op on August 1. I alone signed the lease because my boyfriend has sucky credit and couldn't pass a credit check. Within 2 weeks of moving, he decides he wants to move out. Now I'm stuck with a rent I can't afford.

: The lease states that I can terminate the lease "at the end of the initial term by providing Lessor with at least sixty (60) days notice". Also, a letter from the building management states that, according to "House Rules", if a tentant fails to remain in teh lease for a period of 12 months, the unit may not be leased again until the original term of the lease is expired.

: The question is: am I screwed? Does this mean that the landlord will be unable to rent the apartment, and in turn will sue me if I leave? Can the landlord sublease the apartment, or assign the lease?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name