Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Westchester County - getting out of a lease early

Posted by Jack on August 19, 2000 at 18:32:24:

We currently live in a rented condo in Westchester County, NY. We are in the second year of a 2 year lease. All rent has been paid on time, though we have had minor issues with the landlord (the unit's owner) about timely repair of certain problems. The lease we have is a pretty standard written lease, terminating in summer 2001. This is a condominium complex, with several units rented, consisting of probably 300-400 units.

We are going to be looking to buy a house in the near future. While our actual plan is to try to get that date close to the actual end of our lease, it is possible that we will find something sooner - perhaps much sooner. And we would like to take it if we do. When I lived in NJ I had to give 30 days notice, and then the landlord was required to make reasonable efforts to re-rent the apartment. However, that was an apartment complex with a management company. What is the law about getting out of an individual lease in NY?

The area we live in is very desirable, and I would guess this unit would be re-rented in a week or less, and probably for a lot more than we currently pay (we managed to get only a $50 increase for the second year). If the landlord were to try, I have no doubt she would re-rent quickly. I don't mind being responsible for a little bit extra, perhaps the rest of the month or whatever. But we've given 2 months rent as security - which is a lot of money - and I want to know that we will not have any problems.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance. CC via email greatly appreciated.

- Jack

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name