Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord Rejected me because i was too young. Do I have legal options?

Posted by Jonathon Rosenthal on September 01, 2000 at 12:45:10:

I recently saw an apartment in Astoria that was showed to me by a broker. It was a brand new building and I loved it. So I immediatly went back to the brokers office and gave them the deposit via credit card. As for my background, I am 21yr old Network Administrator who works full time and I have flawless excellent credit. I called the broker back a day or so later and asked if the landlord accepting my application. Her exact words were "Well, he is unsure about your age and wants to look at other applications". This infuriated me, and its total non-sense, I make sufficient money to cover the rent, and my credit shows that I pay everything on time and in full. I called the same day and argued that she should inform the landlord that ageism is illegal, during the whole course of the conversation she stonewalled me and refused to give me the name and contact information of the landlord (since I know the address and the date the building got its Certificate of Occupancy I can probably find out myself, but thats not the point). I know about filing a claim with HUD, but do I have any other options? I also know that there is no way to get the apartment itself because it was given to someone else, but I would like a bit of retribution for their pig-headedness.

Any information any one can provide would be appreciated, and If anyone else has similar stories I would love to hear them. I have a feeling that ageism towards the young is just as bad in the city as ageism towards the old, considering the growing number of technological professionals entering the cities job market.

Thank You,
Jonathon Rosenthal

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name