Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: complain of noise against me.

Posted by James on September 12, 2000 at 13:16:32:

In Reply to: complain of noise against me. posted by M Alam on September 08, 2000 at 19:30:23:

The law in NY (not sure of where you are) recognizes that people in urban living styles where you have neighbors in very close proximity surrender a certain expectation as to peace and quite. Your downstairs neighbor is not living in the county, and as such he needs to deal with the attendent city/close living noise. The have been cases where opera singers have practiced and neighbors complained and sued and the judge has said that the singers behavior is apporpriate especially if it is occuring before 10 or 11 PM, and is not occuring in a inappropriate manner. You do not have to prevent your children from acting like children, it is expected however people may dislike it, but as you have been accomidating by installing carpeting they have to just cope and deal. Your downstairs neighbor has no right to yell at your wife and call her stupid or act in an intimidating manner, in fact this could be constuded as harassment, and if he does sue you you should contact a lawyer and counter sue. NY has rich case law on the subject and I also recommend you check out the noise information on this web site.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name