Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Harassment and inconvenience by neighbor

Posted by Vivian on September 12, 2000 at 17:51:55:

I live in a rent subsidized apartment in a large multi-dwelling complex managed by Grenadier Realty Corp. in Brooklyn. I have had a three year problem with a neighbor who dumps large amounts of water outside her door. The problem is the drain is near my door and the water streams and collects in front of my door. I am unable to keep my floors clean. The cement ( our hall is actually a catwalk) in front of my door is cracking up. I have problems shopping and oing laundry at my leisure because this water is constantly tracked into my apartment. I have scoliosis and have caused myself great pain attempting to lift my cart of the huge puddles. When I approached the neighbor she cursed me out and said she'll do whatever she wants where she pays the rent. When I went to management, they told me to call security each time and have them file a report. I did this repeatedly, but when security would arrive she woiuld come out and hurl the worst verbal abuse upon me in their presence and continue to scream obscenities in front of my door long after they had gone. This has been a great source of stress for me to be abused this way, she calls me such things as "stinking, red pussy white whore bitch" loudly so that my child hears and is upset by this as well. For this reason I stopped calling security (n management did nothing to help me with these reports anyway. I would like to move, but am a low wage earner in desperate need of my subsidy (called rent supplement and issued by the housing development) to help me make it. I make every effort to avoid this tenant and constantly plead with management to at least help clear the water in front of my door so that I may have safe access to and from my apartment and to prevent further damange to the cement. What are my rights? Do I have a right to expect an unobstructed and safe passage to and from my apartment? Am I entitled to an abatement?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name