Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

To Tyler Hill post on new Fridge and rent increase...I was wrong with my post.

Posted by Kerry on September 16, 2000 at 03:57:46:

Sorry I missed informed you, the following is the DHCR fact sheet on the matter, I'm sorry if I missed directed you or caused you any proplems:

A building owner may raise the rent in an individual apartment based on increased services, new equipment, or improvements. This increase is in addition to the regular annual Rent
Guidelines Board increases for rent stabilized apartments, and Maximum Base Rent increases for rent controlled apartments.

If an owner adds new services, improvements, or new equipment to an occupied rent stabilized or rent controlled apartment, the owner must get the tenant's written consent to pay the
increase. The owner may charge the tenant a rent increase equal to 1/40th of the cost of the new equipment, including installation costs, but not finance charges. An order from DHCR
is not required before the owner may collect this type of rent increase. However, for rent controlled housing accommodations before an owner may collect this increase, the owner
must file an "Owner's Notice of a Rent Increase Based on Increased Services/New Furnishings/Equipment/Painting; and Tenant's Statement of Consent" (DHCR Form RN-79b)
with DHCR.

If any apartment is vacant, the owner does not have to get either prior approval by DHCR or written consent of a tenant to collect the 1/40th increase.

The owner should keep all bills for improved services, new equipment, or improvements to prove their cost in the event a tenant challenges the rent increase.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name