Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Almost at wit's end

Posted by Joel on September 16, 2000 at 14:59:08:

Hi everyone.

I posted a few months ago asking for advice on how to break a lease. I moved into a multi-unit building in Brooklyn, and for 6 months have been plagued by noise problems. As I sit here, noise is blaring from the courtyard. Last night, there was a party across the hall until 6:00 a.m. or so. I called the cops 3 times. The downstairs neighbors play their music so loudly that my walls literally rattle.

When i first moved in, i thought I would get used to it, but I have actually gotten less used to the noise. In particular, the weekends here are unbearable. The building literally EXPLODES in noise, from blazing, thumping stereos to dysfunctional families screaming at each other, to babies screaming and crying, to the super getting drunk with his buddies and singing at all hours of the night in the courtyard.

I want out, pure and simple. I wrote to the landlord a few months ago, listing my noise complaints, including a very nasty encounter with my downstairs neighbor. He never answered my letterm, never attempted to return my calls, has never made any kind of an acknowledgement regarding my complaint. I also never received a copy of my lease. I am now recording the noise that occurs here in the hope that this will give me some more ammunition when i decide to break my lease. To add to the complicated nature of this situation, I am on a waiting list for subsidized housing in NYC. I spoke to someone in their office yesterday and she said that my name was getting very close to the top of the list for an apartment, but that she had no idea when another one would become available. So, do I find another place? Do I wait it out here and suffer?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that I can withhold rent equal to the amount that I would spend for temporary housing (hotel, motel) if my apartment is uninhabitable. I am seriously considering spending the weekends in a hotel. I am severely sleep deprived, and feel I am compromising my health.

Any advice would be appreciated. Yes, I have read all the links in the forum on Noise.

Thank you.

Joel

joelzenny@earthlink.net

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name