Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

help

Posted by Lena on September 18, 2000 at 22:29:41:

I have a difficult situation, my landlord is going to sue me.
My family and I used to live in a building, which belongs to Trump Management. We resided the apartment in this building for seven years and we continually paid our rent on time.
In March we decided to move out from that building. Our lease was expiring on May 1, 2000. For month of April we used our security deposit.
Unfortunately we couldn’t move out on time, because our new apartment was still under renovations. We were unable to sign the lease, because the management allowed 1-year minimum for contract, but we need only a couple months. We decided to pay on a monthly basis our new rent fee according the price in our new lease. The management accepted our check for May.
In June we sent another check, but they returned this check and asked the letter of explanation. We send the letter, which was explaining our situation. But we’ve never got a reply back, never got a call from the management.
We moved out on July 10,2000. Yesterday we got a call from the person who introduced himself as a lawyer representing the Trump Management. He said they will sue me for the money I owe them. They claimed I owe them for month of April (at that time I used security deposit), for the month of June and for the expenses landlord spent for painting that apartment for new tenants.
What should I do in this situation? I will appreciate your help in this matter.

Thank you
Lena.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name