Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: rights for non-rent control/stabilized tenants

Posted by ali on September 21, 2000 at 17:45:23:

In Reply to: rights for non-rent control/stabilized tenants posted by puzzled on September 15, 2000 at 11:35:47:

: where can I find out about us? The already screwed minority? Even if I don't have control over how much my landlord raises my rent, isn't he responsible for painting? heat? repairs? Is there a booklet for us somewhere?
: Thanks a lot...

It's very hard to get thorough info on non-stabilized/controlled rights. In my search for information, I learned that free-market landlords can do practically anything they want, but they ARE legally bound by the "State Multiple Dwelling Act," so they're legally required to paint every 3 years and to provide a "habitable" apartment (heat, hot water, sanitary conditions, etc.), among a few other things (repairs among them, I assume). Much is governed by your lease: check it carefully to determine your rights. Check this site further for New York State Housing Law information. The following organizations might also be able to provide information: Metropolitan Council on Housing, 212-693-0553 and/or Tenants & Neighbors, 212-695-8922.

If your landlord is in violation, you could try contacting the Attorney General's office (1-800-771-7755) to file a complaint. You should also complain to the landlord, but do it in writing if you anticipate filing a formal complaint somewhere down the line. But keep in mind that he/she can always retaliate by hiking up your rent or not renewing your lease at all. That's the problem -- they've got us right where they want us, and no one seems to be doing a damned thing about it!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name