Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What is the final poop on doorlocks??

Posted by Kuntsler on September 24, 2000 at 11:14:09:

In Reply to: What is the final poop on doorlocks?? posted by Kerry on September 24, 2000 at 05:43:52:

I am no expert, but these landlord/tenant laws are so easily, attacked. I’ll give you a few examples of how I did it. The government is basically stupid what Margaret Mead calls straight a idiots. I live in a rent stabilized apt, I have no legal training I'm not a lawyer legal assistant nothing. I figured out the law basically is supposed to be reasonable. And as Oliver Wendell Holmes said. The law is applied to each person’s situation (well something to that affect)

Well my situation when I moved in my rent-stabilized apartment in Manhattan was I was paying market rents when I moved in. Then when I figured out it was stabilized. I noticed that when I moved in there was a top lock so I changed the top lock and kept the key. Sure enough that was a good choice the landlord tried to enter my apartment a short time after without even knocking on the door. (Of course after that event I changed it to a Medico lock the strongest lock out there.)

He bought me to landlord tenant court for non-payment of rent (a misrepresentation) and the stipulation says he can only enter the apartment between certain hours, of the day.

Then there was a fire gate on my window when I moved in my apartment, you can see that the gate is around 30 years old, so after fighting with the city I was able to convince one inspector after a few others refused to do anything, that the landlord needs to replace the gate. The gate is now up to fire code. But the way the law is written the landlord has no obligation to fix it.

: Refering to rent stabilized in NYC:

: Is the landlord allowed to have keys to a tenants locks, top and bottom, or not? Can someone supply me with a fact sheet or presidence on the subject? I have been told that a landlord must have keys to access for emergencies, plumbing leaks, cops, etc.

: I have many opinions on the subject and I once believed the landlord was allowed a key to the bottom lock only, and not the top. But I have also heard landlord has rights to both-for emergency reasons.

: Thanks in advance.
: Kerry

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name