Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: the imminent passing of my landlady

Posted by Mark Smith on September 27, 2000 at 20:55:40:

In Reply to: the imminent passing of my landlady posted by susan siegrist on September 27, 2000 at 15:57:50:

The new landlord has the same obligations to the tenants as your current landlady, such as furnishing all current services and renewing rent stabilized leases.

Landlords can't get out of their obligations by selling a building -- or even by dying.

And, by the way, why did you choose a two-year lease? A one-year lease is generally the smarter economic choice.

:
: I have lived in a 12-unit rent stablized apartment (probably built in the 1940's) in new york city for over 20 years. I am in the middle year of my current two-year lease. My landlady is getting old and quite sick; upon her death the building will be left to her brother, a lawyer in chicago, who I know wants to sell it. What are my rights? Does the new owner have to provide me with a comparably priced apartment, or can he simply throw me out? I would like to be aware of whatever the possible scenarios might be. thanks...Susan

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name