Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord Taking Pictures In Apartment

Posted by Mark Smith on September 30, 2000 at 00:24:02:

In Reply to: Year 2000 Violations in Rent Stabilized Apt. posted by Kunstler on September 29, 2000 at 23:48:21:

I wouldn't be taking legal advice from the NYPD about housing matters.

The landlord obviously has no right to read papers on your desk or anywhere else. You should put them away or cover them up when the landlord comes into your apartment -- after he gives you reasonable notice that he's coming.

I see no reason for the landlord to take pictures or video in your apartment -- even of the violations. If necessary, you can take pictures of the violations and give them to the landlord.

I doubt that there's much, if any, case law on this issue. If there is, let the landlord and/or his attorney provide it to you. Until they do, don't let your landlord in your apartment if he has a camera, and throw him out if he pulls out a camera.

:
: I live in a rent-stabilized apartment in Manhattan. Just a few hours ago, I reported to HPD the following violations in my apartment -- a studio.

: 1.Falling plaster from ceiling in my room
: 2.A hole 12 in by 10 inch in the ceiling
: 3.No stable temperature in the hot water ranges from 140 degrees to 200 degrees.
: 4.A janitor that lives in the cellar. (There is no fire exit or bathroom down there.)
: 5.A window that is broken. (Needs a brace to stay open.)
: 6.Red water comes thru the faucet in the bathroom when I run the water.
: 7.The kitchen faucet leaks.
: 8.The radiator is unstable to attached to the ground could fall from leaning the wrong way against it.
: 9.No electrical outlets on a whole side of the wall.
: 10.No stove.

:
: The question I have is: the landlord comes into my apartment (last year for example) and
: can’t figure out how to fix things. Last year he came into my apartment. Sat at my desk read papers on my desk. And each time he comes into my apartment he says he has to film my apartment with a camera. (Even when I object.) I called the police they said you better let them read your papers and take pictures in you apartment or you will be evicted.
: Is that the law?<

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name