Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Notice to Cure, Termination of Lease, Harassment

Posted by Mark Smith on October 02, 2000 at 19:31:11:

In Reply to: Notice to Cure, Termination of Lease, Harassment posted by Eduard on October 02, 2000 at 13:02:35:

When was the second notice of termination served and what was the termination date in the second notice?

The landlord can accept rent through the termination date, even after the notice of termination has been served.

However, the landlord can't accept rent after the termination date and before the holdover proceeding in housing court is commenced.

:
: In mid-January of this year I received a Notice to Cure from my landlord (NYC – 200+ unit building, rent stabilized) saying that I was creating a nuisance by allowing debris to accumulate in my apartment. This charge mystified me and I sent (via certified mail) a letter asking them to explain. They did not respond until they sent me a notice saying my lease was terminated as of April 15th. I had an attorney write a letter pointed out that they had failed to answer my response to their notice to cure. April 15th comes and the Super shows up at 9:00 a.m. with painters to “redo the apartment.” Having received no notice that they wished to paint and not wanting the apartment painted I refused to let them in.

: After initially returning my checks saying a holdover proceeding had been filed, the landlord resumed cashing them. Then in July, I received a second notice to cure citing the same alleged “debris” that the landlord had failed to define since January and refusing access to building staff (apparently the “painting” incident).

: I again responded (via certified mail) to their notice to cure asking for additional information (which they again failed to answer. September 1st, they returned my rent check saying a holdover proceeding had been started. In fact, there is no record of a holdover proceeding. I’ve just received a second Notice of Termination of my lease.

: How long can this harassment continue? What is the best way to approach this matter?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name