Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Civil Suit against Landlord?

Posted by ml on October 05, 2000 at 23:14:04:

I rented house for myself and boylfriend in VA for 15 months, however only my name was on lease because he is from England.Boyfriend always dealt with Landlord because I traveled often. Rent was always paid on time. I broke lease due to new assignment abroad under military clause (promoted), gave 30 day notice, copy of orders and no liquated damages per lease. Landlord became panic and requested to ad boyfriend to lease in order to do checkout walk through with boy friend. I refused to ad him and did checkout myself. Boyfriend recently became my husband, do I need to prove that?Boyfriend not on lease was never an issue until checkout. I believe the landlord will try to keep the $2200 security deposit despite leaving the house in great shape except for 3 areas of damages, scratches on the front door, the mailbox post weakened( both caused by the movers) and several deep punctures or tears in the soft vinyl kitchen floor.The landlord took pictures of these 3 damaged sites and I did not.While we lived there we felt the landlord was over working on the house or his other adjoing property on a regular basis.Can I sue for harrassment? lack of quiet enjoyment? faxing and calling my work 8x in 2 days to reach me asking if we are married an invasion of my privacy or rights?Landlord rescheduled walk through to new date because Landlord wanted keys handed in to agent first any kind ofmanipultion of my rights? I can't fight the landlord on the damages but is there a way I can take him to small claims court? Under what conditions? The most I guessed I will lose is $150 in which 3/4 the moving costs should be refunded yet I mistrust him.Can I have the security deposit mailed to a friend's house so I can avoid any more contact with this nagging Landlord.What is my next step if after 30 days there is no check? or I don't agree with the deductions.The checkin was a verbal acknowledgement everything was in rentable condition. No paperwork was provided at the checkout only pictures taken. Thanks for your help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name