Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

why doesn't landlord keep out of tenant's business?

Posted by Will on October 09, 2000 at 17:54:10:

In Reply to: Why doesn't girlfriend just get a P.O. box ? posted by Linda on October 04, 2000 at 19:25:01:

either get separate mailbox or hand over mail addressed to and in care of to the tenant....end of discussion. I'm tired of hearing stories about how landlords think that they can control who and what a tenant can do...

stories like a landlord telling a tenant "no sleep overs allowed", "only mail address to you", "no visitors", "no parties no matter what time", "no stereo playing no matter what time"...are in my opinion simply ridiculous.

Will

: Like Apartment Dweller, I have lived in a two family house myself. All the mail is delivered through a slot for the whomever comes by first to sort. The homeowner in this case is not "intercepting" anything, she got mail addressed to an unknown person and had the courtesy to ask the tenant about it. She could have been well within her rights to simply mark it "return to sender" and hand it back to the mailman, think about it.

: The property owner is responsible for the upkeep and maintainence of the apartment, and is not your mommy nor a Mail Boxes Etc. franchise. To expect her to receive mail for your friends/family is ridiculous. Would you also give out her phone number to your girlfriend and expect her to take phone messages to you ?

: Why doesn't your girlfriend just rent a post office box ? That way her privacy would be assured, there would be no problems if you or her moved, and the mail would just stay there securely if she was away for a few days. I think this would be a much better solution than aggresively trying to "escalate" this to the Postal Police -- and believe me, you will get nowhere if you try.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name