Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

right to leave

Posted by Ken on October 09, 2000 at 19:45:25:

In Reply to: Established Occupant/Resident.....What are my rights? posted by Lynn on October 09, 2000 at 18:03:24:

Since you are a roommate or subtenant, you are not entitled to the "rights" he might be able to claim under rent stabilization, etc. And in any case, you want to leave. Going to court on the issue that you have lived there for a long time would at best only get you a little more time to stay there.

Since you are basically leaving by mutual agreement you are of course entitled to the return of any security deposit you paid him.

There are some people that would argue that you should take this to court, that you could claim monetary damages, etc. However, I think you would be far better off spending the time and money on finding an apartment of your own. Consider different boros and neighborhoods, there is a lot available if you aggresively look.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name