Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Let's take things calmly and rationally...

Posted by Ken on October 09, 2000 at 20:04:20:

In Reply to: SEXUALY harassed by landlord!!!! PLEASE HELP!!! posted by Leonikka on October 09, 2000 at 03:00:31:

Wise decision to move out. Since the move-out was by mutual agreement you are entitled to a return of your security deposit and unused rent. Whether you can collect this is another matter - the "official" way of handling this is to send him notice by certified mail, if that fails then take him to small claims court. However realize that winning a small claims case is quite different from collecting a judgement. You will have to decide if it is worth the time and effort to pursue this, or if you should just move out and move on.

Regarding your questions about the apartment, if it is legal, if he can even rent out rooms -- these are local matters you would have to check your local code (call city hall). But there really is no point, you want to get your deposit back and find a better place, not fix up the place you were. You might look up the owner of the property and send him a letter explaining what this guy is doing - again, don't expect any miracles, but if the owner cares about his property he might move to evict the guy if so notified.

: I rented a room (in California) from a crazy man who offered me drugs and
: sexually harassed me. He is frequently drunk and under many influences...
: When I confronted him he told me that it would be better for me to move out and
: he promised to give me back my last months rent. I agreed to it. The next
: day, I moved out but he refused to give me anything back. I had the room painted and the carpet cleaned. It was a circumstance in which I felt that my personal safety had been compromised. What are my rights? The monster doesn't even own the house. Is he allowed to rent the rooms? The room is like a converted garage with dry wall. The walls were bendable. It that legal? Can I get my money back?
: I didn't even live there for a month before this incident happend.
: SOMEBODY HELP!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name