Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Subtle harassment as a tool to keep tenants down.

Posted by Dawn on October 10, 2000 at 18:37:35:

In Reply to: Subtle harassment as a tool to keep tenants down. posted by Jerry Weinstein on October 10, 2000 at 17:39:39:

I've basically run into the same problem at my place except it was pretty old instead of brand new. When a tenant knows their rights and decides to exercise those rights, and organizes other tenants to exercise their rights, they are branded as "troublemakers" by the owners of the building. There are some owners out there who are looking to collect rent, their income, and are not really interested in keeping up with their building responsibilities -- because that costs money and takes away from the money they're collecting. So you become an expensive tenant to have in the building -- in their eyes. And there is always 20 other people who are willing to live there and pay more than you, so the landlord doesn't have your best interests at heart. If you have a rent stablized apartment, I'm told the landlord has to give you the option to renew your lease. If, however, you've been plain noisy (it may be 1 inch walls but so are every apartment dwelling in New York and we all have to deal) then it will make your case a little bit harder to side with.

If you've paid your rent on time, been a considerate tenant otherwise, taken detailed notes, tried to sit down and talk reasonably with the landlord and shown this, then you don't have to worry. But it never hurts that if there are any doubts otherwise, consult an attorney immediately.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name