Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

eviction, and dhcr vs. housing court

Posted by kristin on October 11, 2000 at 11:16:54:

My neighbors and I just lost a PAR with DHCR, who claim that my building is not subject to stabilization due to substantial rehab in 1987 after a fire supposedly destroyed our building (we got signed records from the fire dept stating that no fire ever occurred at our address). Meanwhile one of my neighbors was given a rent stabilized lease in 1995. None of the decision makes sense. Our building is falling down and our boiler is 70 years old. We submitted an architect report detailing all of the decrepitude.
Anyway, we just got the decision yesterday and are waiting for our 30 notices of eviction. Our lawyer says we could file another PAR but I wonder if that is worth it as DHCR has not helped us either of the times before we came to them for help. Housing court is more tennant friendly, right? Also, will they give me 3 months to vacate? I really need more than 30 days. And we've all been on rent strike since the landlord tried to evict us in april. Will we have to pay back all of the rent even though we've been living in sub standard conditions? We've had decreased security due to the removal of one set of front doors and the weakening of remaining front doors, a broken heater that has not been fixed in a year and general filth in the common area and trash piled perpetually high on the stoop. Any information you could give me would be appreciated. My main concerns are how much time I can stretch this out for and how much money I will have to pay them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name