Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

It's not clear what you want.

Posted by Ken on October 12, 2000 at 19:12:08:

In Reply to: Warranty of Habitability/Illegal conversion posted by David on October 12, 2000 at 07:20:05:

I'm a bit confused by your post. I understand your situation, but I don't see what you are upset about or didn't expect.

You have chosen to live in a deteriorated building. When you called the health department the first time, surely you expected they would issue him a citation, which would eventually cause the LL to have to renovate the building. And its a lot easier to renovate a building when no one lives there -- see where this is going ?

Since its obvious that the building is now uninhabitable, I don't see what else you could expect than to move out. Your month to month tenancy can be terminated on 30 days notice.

Regarding the LL's action against you, why not try to come to an agreement with him -- you move out on a certain date, he drops the suit for back rent. Your other option is to start a legal fight and hold out in your detoriated abode. I bet neither you nor your landlord have anything to gain by fighting over this.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name