Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: eviction, and dhcr vs. housing court

Posted by Kristin on October 13, 2000 at 10:49:35:

In Reply to: Re: eviction, and dhcr vs. housing court posted by Ken on October 12, 2000 at 19:21:06:

Are you a landlord?
What my landlord is doing is wrong. He is the one getting something for nothing. We stopped paying rent when he tried to evict us the first time. Technically, they're not allowed to pay rent after they do that.
Not to mention they have pulled some dirty tricks--blasting us with music from the club they own downstairs until things have fallen off shelves on the second floor, removing our front doors for 2 days (we live around the corner from a methodone clinic so you can imagine what that was like), sicking their bouncers on us and our visitors. My boyfriend was followed down the block by one and interrogated.

So, why am I holding on? Because my building should be stabilized. My neighbor got her last stabilized lease in 1995 and that means our whole building is stabilized. DHCR originally awarded her $25,000 in back rent but then rescinded 6 months later. mysterious, isn't it. Our landlord has claimed substantial rehabilitation due to a fire. We have proved that this never happened. Rent stabilized apartments are gold. It is the only way I would be able to stay in this city as market rate rents are over my head (and I know I'm not the only one). I'm trying to stand up for what is right. Affordable housing will disappear completely if this keeps up.

That is my defense. Agree with it or not.

: You've filled your post with more acronyms than I care to know. But what it boils down to is clear. Your landlord, who owns the building, wants to convert it to some other use. You, on the other hand, are intent on getting "something for nothing", so instead of paying the landlord you are paying lawyers to try to keep you there on some loophole.

: If your place is as awful as you describe, then why don't you move out ? There's lots of nice apartments in the city, especially if you venture outside of core Manhattan.

: What a sham when you say that you worry about moving on 30 days notice. Not a sentence later, you tell us you haven't paid rent for 6 months ! What have you been doing with that money, for goodness sake ?

: I'm not saying that running a ramshakle building is OK. But I'm really perplexed that you choose to hunker down and fight losing battles in court when you could so easily find something better.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name