Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord harassment?

Posted by Susan on October 15, 2000 at 12:01:57:

I am a rent controlled tenant in Manhattan apt - have lived here 31 years.Someone new bought the building in July of this year. He offered me money to vacate which I refused and then said that I(and presumably the other tenants) could no longer use the backyard which we have had access to for the entire time I have lived here, except to put out garbage & recyclables because his insurance wouldn't cover any liability. I offered to sign a statement absolving him of any potential liability which he accepted. A few weeks ago, his lawyer sent me a letter that they had reconsidered & that use was restricted under pain of legal action. I received from quick legal advice which basically said that he really couldn't just withdraw what had been an existing building service & so wrote back. I have now received a 2nd letter threatening a holdover proceeding. He is warehousing 2 empty apartments & has offered money to at least 1 other tenant & has also neglected to send that rent stabilized tenant a renewal lease even tho he has increased her rent. Has anybody gone thu anything like like? Know anything about use of backyards, courtyards etc? I feel this guy is trying to force me out.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name