Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: credit check

Posted by Ken on October 16, 2000 at 17:45:06:

In Reply to: credit check posted by lisa marie on October 16, 2000 at 11:59:54:

Don't assume that all landlords check your credit report. Some don't. Look especially at brownstones and 2 family homes in Brooklyn and Queens. I know from personal experience that many of these owners never check credit reports - instead they tend to go by the "feel" they get from a prospective tenant.

What can you do if the owner does want to see your credit report ? Well, put yourself in his position and present yourself as responsibly as you can. Show him your pay stubs and other other income you have. If there is a creditor you can list as a reference, do so. Explain the situation you had but don't make excuses for yourself, focus on what you have been doing to resolve the situation.

: I live in Brooklyn, NY in a 3 family house without a lease for 5 years. For many reasons (landlord) I want to move out. I have a bad credit history (ruined credit 7 years ago in college and slowly repairing it).

: Considering any potential landlord will want a credit check, is there any way (considering the apartment market in NYC) I could get another apartment?

: Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name