Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Shared Gas Meter

Posted by Bryna on October 17, 2000 at 14:14:34:

Against my better judgement, I signed a lease for an apartment in Sunnyside Queens with the following clause in the rider to the lease:

"Boiler is connected to tenant's gas meter. Landlord will reimburse tenant's COn Ed gas bill each month less $18.00/month estimated gas use for cooking by tenant."

Despite misgivings, I could not convince the landlord to change the clause and took the apartment anyway. I have since found out that shared meters are illegal and that I am not legally obligated to have the gas bill in my name.

My questions are:

Even though shared meters are illegal, am I bound to the agreement stated in the lease rider?

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to bring this up with my landlord? There doesn't seem to be a compromise, either I force her to do it the legal and fair way or I continue to do it in the screwed up way she insists on, which basically has me beholden to her for reimbursement checks along the lines of several hundred dollars a month.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name