Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Mitchell-Lama Co-op Income Guideline rules

Posted by Millicent on October 18, 2000 at 10:54:40:

In Reply to: Mitchell-Lama Co-op Income Guideline rules posted by Rebecca on October 17, 2000 at 13:33:53:

: I live in a Mitchell-Lama co-op supervised by the DHCR. (3 buildings, 72apts in my bldg - I think built in 1950-something) We are in the Bronx and are required to fill out an annual income affadavit in May of each year. I moved permanently into this apt in 1995 after the death of my grandmother (was there 'temporarily' helping her out before her death.)

Last Friday, I received a letter saying they were unable to verify my income for 1998 (yes, I did turn in the affadavit) and I have 60 days to get a particular form from the state gov't verifying my income. If I do not get this information to them, they will backcharge me 50% of the rent from Jan '99 to June '00. Is there not a time limit when verifications can be completed and rent either raised or lowered (ha!)? I'm doing what they've asked because I don't want to be percieved as a "troublesome" "co-operator" but it doesn't seem fair at all.
-----------

They gave you 60 days to fill out a form and get it back to them or there would be penalties. You've decided to comply with this requirement so as not to look liek a troublemaker? How about complying because that's what is required of you?

: This, by the way, is on the heels of two very insulting letters sent out in September regarding a rent increase being proposed to the DHCR ($25 per room.) Also, in Sept & Oct the office has called us inquiring where our rent payment was when it was only two days late. Maybe it's me, but I'm feeling more than a little harassed here.

Frankly, your rent should not be late at all. Someone signed a lease that said the rent was due on a certain day.

: By the way - the lease is STILL in my grandmother's name - even though I've been paying the rent since 1995 and when I got married in 1999, I notified them in writing of a name change and my husband moving in. This latest letter they sent came addressed to me - but my maiden name (as it would've been in 1998.) But EVERY other piece of anything the co-op has ever sent has been addressed to my grandmother.
: Thank You!

It should be in your grandmother's name, it is NOT your lease. I don't know the law but here's my take: That apartment was rented to your grandmother using HER income and circumstances to figure the rent, not yours.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a process that one must go through in order to get into the housing in which you currently reside. It appears to me that you have averted those channels. You moved in help and then when she passed away decided that you have a right to that apartment at the current rent. I hope not. If you and your husband are both working and would not otherwise qualify for that apartment, I hope you sleep well at night knowing that there is a family or person who legitimately meets the requirements for that apartment is out of luck.

As to you telling them that you and your husband moved in, that's nice. What they shoudl do is put you out and tell you to fill out an application and wait for an apartment-- if you qualify-- like everyone else has to do.

Millicent

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name