Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Required Carpet Coverage and Noise Complaints

Posted by David on October 22, 2000 at 12:52:18:

My neighbor in a Manhattan apartment, directly below me, mentioned noise to my wife and asked that we get carpets for our beautiful hardwood floors. A couple of weeks later he actually called the police and they came by suggesting that I get carpets or a rug, and that the tenant below has complained about this before with previous tenants.
So my wife and I have bought a couple rugs (boy are they expensive!), and now I'm wondering what the rules are for rug coverage. Have I covered my floors enough legally? My lease simply says under tenant rules that:
"Apartment floors must be covered by carpets or rugs."
I assume they don't mean every little bit of floor. If so, what about the kitchen and closets? No one has carpet in their kitchen!

So, my question is, exactly how much of my floors need to be covered by rugs to be complying with my lease? Does coverage from beds, and other unmovable items count in that?

Any pointers to what the rules are, or a place where I can get this info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name