Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Heat

Posted by Penny on October 24, 2000 at 13:38:50:

In Reply to: Heat posted by Dot on October 23, 2000 at 19:24:07:

: I called the landlord this evening and told him it was too cold. He said it was above 55 today, so no heat (he must have his furnace rigged to some outside thermometer). He's a stingy bastard, but tends to abide by the letter of the law, so if there is any claim I have on tolerable indoor temperatures, it would really help!

Oh dear. "Tolerable." You're looking for legislation that regulates a landlord's response to a tenant's subjective experience. I'm afraid you won't find it.

My grandmother, were she living, would tell you to put on your woolies; she's was an incredible woman who decades ago anticipated what may be your only option. Seasonal temperature changes are a pain in the ass for everyone. In your case, it's tough because you don't have a thermostat to adjust pro re nata. Temps in the 50s (you think they are, anyway--ah ha! Cooler temperatures after a spell of high temps usually feel far colder than they really are) can be inconvenient, but consistently cold weather is coming so consistent indoor heat will soon arrive as well.

You've noted that your landlord tends to follow the law. A law-abiding landlord, four walls and a radiator looks like a pretty tolerable situation to me!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name