Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

If the landlord is a SNOOP then CHANGE the locks NOW ASAP !!

Posted by the president on October 31, 2000 at 11:47:56:

In Reply to: Changing Locks posted by Pattynn on October 30, 2000 at 14:45:05:

If the landlord violates your privacy and walks through your apt, unannounced to take a " look see " then I would CHANGE the locks immediately !! I would also get a chain with a lock on it that requires a key to open it when the front door is opened. By the way, a landlord is required by rent stab law to provide a chain on your front door albeit without the lock on it. Landlord must also provide a peep hole, an entrance intercom and a door buzzer as well.

Until someone provides a direct link to the case he mentioned that resulted in tenants being evicted because they CHANGED the locks, I would not hold much faith in his comments whatsoever. I am sure that the tenants were evicted because they refused to provide a key to the landlord AFTER a judge had so ordered. Or that a catastrophe had occured as a result of the type of lock they put on. NO TENANT was ever evicted for simply changing or replacing a lock and not giving the key to the landlord. A severe action like that would ONLY come after SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES and only AFTER violating a DIRECT ORDER from a judge.

Provide the link to that case so all can see I am right. Show me and all who read your post that the tenants were not evicted for simply CHANGING or REPLACING their locks and refusing to provide a key or keys to the landlord but rather it was a case that may have reulted in the loss of the landlords building or loss of life or something SEVERE and /or after refusing to provide the key to the landlord after being DIRECTLY so ordered by a judge.

In her case, her landlord is walking through her apt unannounced just to SNOOP at her things. Just to show some POWER that this small minded beast landlord thinks that she has. CHANGE YOUR LOCKS NOW !!!!! Let's see the case... I want to read it through !!! When Mark Smith, provided information and cited cases he would also provide us with a link. Why didn't you do that ? Or did you find some obscure case that BEARLY has ANY relationship to this matter ??

Also if the judge orders her to provide a key, make sure that when you slip it into the envelope, that you use one of your envelopes and that you SIGN YOUR NAME ACROSS THE SEALS ON FIVE AREAS...... and cover all seals and signatures with scotch tape . DO NOT GIVE A SNOOP LANDLORD KEYS until so ordered directly by a judge. Then use the envelope with your signatures all over it. This way the SNOOP better have a very good reason for coming into your apt and SNOOPING around.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name