Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Open windows in November ?

Posted by Ken on November 01, 2000 at 19:19:16:

In Reply to: windows and heat posted by eugene ring on November 01, 2000 at 06:31:58:

I'm a bit confused. Winter is fast approaching and temperatures are going down. Why on earth would you want to keep your windows open ?

As for the charges, what does your lease say ? If its not in the lease then probably not. On the other hand, expect to get nowhere if you are asking for permission to keep your windows open in plain winter. I can just imagine you explaining THAT to a judge ... "yes, your honor, all my windows are open ... and my apartment has been too cold !"

The thermostat should keep the building at a constant temperature. If the landlord is keeping it too high, that would cost HIM big money in additional fuel, so why not clue him in and ask that it be turned down ? I can't imagine him refusing unless he's as nutty as you.

: Our apt. house has only one thermostat. It is located in an apt. that is currently empty. The landlord says we need to keep our storm windows and windows closed at all times. There are two elderly ladies living upstairs who can't tolerate the cold. The landlord said he would charge us 25 dollars a day for windows that are not closed because he pays the heat. Can he make us keep our windows closed? Can he charge us if we don't? No one other than the person occupying that one apt. has control over the heat.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name