Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Security deposit if you break lease?

Posted by Irena on November 03, 2000 at 09:28:11:

In Reply to: Re: Security deposit if you break lease? posted by Ken on November 02, 2000 at 19:21:23:

I was able to break my two year lease and not suffer any loss to security deposit because I got someone else to take over the lease to the apartment. I hope this helps.

: The management company was right. When you signed the lease you agreed to rent the apartment for a given length of time. If you break your lease they can keep your security deposit, as they may incur additional expenses in advertising and re-renting the apartment.

: That said, it is sometimes possible to work something out. Send them a polite letter giving at least 30 days notice of your move out. Explain what your reasons are. Remind them that you will clean the apartment and leave it in its original condition. Although they are under no obligation to do so, they may decide to return at least part of your deposit to you since you've been so nice about throughout the process and not just abandoned the apartment.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name