Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: the vice president is a cheap fraud

Posted by vice president on November 04, 2000 at 18:38:42:

In Reply to: Re: the vice president is a cheap fraud posted by TenantNet on November 04, 2000 at 04:53:49:

I respect your opinion. However, obviously the poster was talking about a finished wooden floor. 3/4 inch oak or yellow pine tounge and groove flooring (the most common floors laid for rentals). A great deal of care is taken to lay these floors so the nails won't show. Simply pounding nails down through this finished flooring will not stop them from squeaking and it can also ruin the look of a floor, especially if someone, who doesn't know what they are doing, dents the floor with the hammer are splits the wood by trying to pound a nail through oak. I can almost quarantee the squeaking is from the underlayment moving about on the floor joists. To even drive a nail someone would have to know where the floor joists are. Finish flooring no longer falls on the joists as they used to. In fact it is usually run the opposite direction of the joists. Pounding nails into flooring and then underlayment can actually cause more squeaking, because the nail will loosen up and move about because it isn't secured into a joist.

Personally I think someone who doesn't even understand how a floor structure works should not be giving advice about how to repair one. And of course this sounds dillitantish (let's say that is a word ;-), I like it) because it isn't your floor. And you know as well as I do a landlord could use such damage and such a presumptious repair to really stick it to a tenant. Do you really think it is that outragous that a landlord would say, "Hey what did you do to this floor?"

And I believe that if someone just started pounding nails into a finished wooden floor, without permission (as pres. suggested) they could be looking at a knee jerk law suit. I also point out to you that the president's response to my post didn't respond to my alligation that he might be a landlord trying to subvert real and honest answers.

The president is a name caller which automatically puts anyone on the offensive, and he does so with having virtually no real information. It doesn't do any tenant a favor by making them think they are always on the side of right. He likes to use the word slander, but he is most definitley the quickest to do so.

vice president (maybe soon to be president, then I'll start call myself president :-))

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name