Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: co-tenant dispute

Posted by Dawn on November 09, 2000 at 12:10:24:

In Reply to: co-tenant dispute posted by L. Price on November 08, 2000 at 14:20:47:

It sounds like you two don't get along and that is not good. Why stay at a place that you're not happy? You mention co-tenant. Does that mean your name is on the lease as a tenant or an occupant? If you are listed as occupant, you are out of luck, as occupants have NO rights whatsoever to the apartment. If the original tenant had the place and the person you're living with now is also listed as tenant, then she would have more of a say to the apartment. If she wants you to leave, she has the right to have you leave.

If you are really concerned about the price doubling or tripling on the apartment, arrange with your roommate a time and place that's convenient to both of you, and discuss this in a calm, respectful manner. Getting upset and ripping into each other is NOT going to resolve things. The issue is the roof over your head and you both have to cooperate in order to keep living there. I think once those questions I posed above are answered (the who is the real tenant questions), then you will know what you have a right to do.

I would suggest to forget the whole thing and start looking for a new place. Do you really need the stress?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name