Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

rent stabilization

Posted by Chelsea on November 09, 2000 at 23:38:40:

In Reply to: Rent stablization/Mole posted by Terrie Collymore on November 08, 2000 at 15:26:07:

You should start by checking for fact sheets on rent control/rent stabilization to make sure you understand the difference.

Have you lived in the apartment since 1971? If not, it's almost certainly not rent-controlled.

It may be rent-stabilized however. Was the rent over $2,000 when you moved in ? If so, that might have removed it from rent stabilization.

Even if the rent is over that level, you should check it out with the Division of Housing and Community Renewal. You should call their hot-line and ask for a rent history of your apartment, which they will send you in the mail. That will show the apartment's registered status and rent paid. The number to call is 718-739-6400.

You might also check your lease to see if there is any reference to rent stabilization, or a rent stabilization rider.

Even if the rent history or lease suggests it is not rent stabilization, don't necessarily take that as the final word, because building owners sometimes misstate the real status. If you have further questions after seeing the rent history, you could write back to this board or call a tenants rights organization in your area. If there are longtime tenants in your building or in neighboring buildings, you might also ask them if they know anything about the apartment's history.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name